Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have cerebral palsy and cervical spondylitis in my neck. I…

Customer Question
hello i have cerebral...
hello i have cerebral palsy and cervical spondylitis in my neck. I am also waiting surgery to remove a partially broken tooth and root. Recently I have began to notice severe tingling and numbness on the left side of my face and neck and into the lower back of my head andpain in the left side of my neck too. Should i be concerned or is this part of the spondylitis and age related? I am 54 and female.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2010
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 years ago

Greetings.

A severe tingling and numbness on the left side of the face and lower part of the head is not related to the spondylosis. It is supplied by the cranial nerves (brain nerves). Rest of your symptoms can be related to the cervical spondylosis. These should be investigated by the following;

1) Electromyography/nerve conduction studies (EMG/NCS)

2) MRI of the spine and brain

3) blood glucose, glucose tolerance test and glycosylated hemoglobin

4) serum B12 level with methylmalonic acid (with or without homocysteine),

5) serum protein electrophoresis

6) Anti-nuclear antibody

7) Lyme testing

8) Rheumatoid factor

9) Sjogren's syndrome testing (Anti-Ro, Anti-La Antibodies)

This should give the diagnosis and guidelines for the management.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

is this serious in your opinion and should i seek medical advice from my gp?

This might not be serious at all. But it is worth investigating. Just a Vitamin B1, B6, B12 deficiency can cause these symptoms. So talk to your GP.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun