Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Diagnosed w/hypothyroid x 25 yrs along with a positive ANA…

Customer Question
Diagnosed w/hypothyroid x 25 yrs...
Diagnosed w/hypothyroid x 25 yrs along with a positive ANA 1:640 suggestive CREST/Pos EBV/neg Lyme/Been through "Russian Roulette" of referrals, saw a Rheumatologist ordered lg doses of Prednisone and Imuran/plan to taper after 1wk/3rd day of taper,w/severe reaction,(muscles) literally "locked up" and could barely move..intense agony. MD stopped Imuran and tapered Prednisone. Did not test for Sjogrens as opthalmologist suspected/Said I had Lupus and that was it...later referred after an angioedema episode to an allergist. Only allergy is anaphylasis to latex as I have worked in the health care scene x 35+ yrs. Reaction has been (X3) an angioedema attack w/one foot in the grave after "lobster-colored" rash covers my body w/swelling of face& arms. Immune tests all below normal/TSH elevated/cholesterol and trigly elevated/B/P &P abnormal/insomnia/palps/cardiac testing wnl/ Immune panel very abnormal x2. Investigated:have 5 root canals w/gutta percha, latex material seeping into my system?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2010
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Greetings

Welcome to justanswer.com

I can only imagine what you are going through, however as a health professional, you might be as surprised as my colleagues sometimes when I make the following suggestion. If you think deeply, maybe you can see a reasoning behind it.

Please could you sit down and have an honest discussion with your doctor and STOP ALL MEDICATIONS for few days.

Then get back to first principles.

Hypertension

Hyperlipidaemia

Hypothyroidism

Immune-deficiency

Anxiety/depression.

All other pathology are either consequences of the above or result of medications used FOR them.

Choosing a few effective and efficient medications (one med for anti-cholesterol+antihypertensive, Syntroid for hypothyroid and a good SNRI med like venlafaxine ) would cover primary morbidities and then the physician researches and prescribe an immuno-enhancing agent including naturopathic agents.

This advice is not 'scientific' but relied on evidence based medical experience of 20 years.

The body sometimes get 'poisoned' by the same things we genuinely prescribe with the genuine intention based on medical science to make it better. Scientifically it is called drug-drug interaction, some are know, but a lot is still beyond our understanding.

It is the meeting of our bodies primary ailments and these interactions that your story highlights.

Please trust your doctors to deeply analyse your conditions along this reasoning.

I am very dissappointed with your "pat" answer doctor.
I HAVE remained off Nepedipine and Norvasc for the past 6 wks due to my B/P and pulse dropping dramtically for no reason after being treated for HTN x 16 yrs. My hypothyroid problem has never been "a problem" and has never needed adjusting in 25 yrs, until now,(also this past month) which is strange.
The Prednisone is a small 5 mgm dose which I am tapering to get off. I stopped Bumex today. My immune system is "in the basement" since I had an acute viral infection "flu" from Dec and I CANNOT recover. I only take Vit C 1000/ B12/ B6 Magnesium and K+.
I wasn't on an ACE inhibitor when I had the other angioedema attacks and I also had Raynauds for 25 yrs, but NOT to this extent. When AIDS pts feel like this...SOMETHING IS wrong and they must ake meds to counteract their symptoms and BUILD their immune system up, so I definitely don't agree with your "simplified manner" of answering my question...I am already doing what you suggested. I must take the thyroid medication but have read many actual accounts of changing to the dessicated "natural" form that have made a complete turn around in other people's symptoms and am willing to find a doctor who would give me the benefit of the doubt in trying it. I MUST DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
Hello, is anybody home?? Isn't there going to be more conversation than this???
Going to bed...ZZZZZZ
When is there going to be more follow up from my reply????

Alright, if you dont see any thing benefecial from my opinion,

I am going to opt out and allow another expert to help

Thank you, ***** ***** didn't see anything benificial from your opinion and appreciate that you are turning this over to other professionals. I do not wish to pay $25.00 for something I have already tried through process and elimination. I want an aggressive thought provoking stab at a mystery diagnosis. I live outside of Boston MA and have the best care around, but my symptoms are stumping the best and the brightest. Today, I spoke with the MD who repaeted my immunological profile and he is afraid, "I am going to crash" as my gamma globulin is so low as is my cortisol...need to have an expert endocrinologist's opinion. Please pass this on to one if they are out there. The endocrinologist I saw yesterday has tunnel thinking and doesn't want to think "outside the box".
So sorry you could not help me. :(

I only applied reason within the ambit of medical science. We have to remain 'in the box'. We are dealing with life. I am dedicated to saving it without 'jeopardizing' the safety of it to the best of my ability.

Something is 'overheating' and depreciating your natural defenses.

I have already requested your question to be 'open' again by opting out to allow other experts to help.

Thanks

My question has NEVER been forwarded to other experts as you mentioned in the last post...I DID NOT ACCEPT YOUR ANSWER AS I MENTIONED WHY--- I was dissappointed with the "pat" reply. You offered NO possibilities or probabilities for my health situation...."something is overheating and depriciating my natural defenses"...what kind of a diagnosis or suggestion is that??? Anyone can come to that conclusion!
I saw that my account was charged $25.00!!! ...withouot me accepting your answer... I want a refund as is stated in the start of applying your question to "experts"
I will contact costomer service and if I do not receive a refund and I will write a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and make a formal complaint to internet fraud. I will never use these services again. I did in the past and was pleased with a technician who finally came to an intelligent response.
I think you need to forward this on to the "experts" as you said you would...
Please do refer to customer service, when I opted out 11.36am 6/16/2010, your question became OPEN to other experts to weigh in.
I am sorry but I did not appreciate your effort as I mentioned in my replies to you...you did not shed ANY light on my problem and I do not want to waste MY TIME or MONEY telling you so. It took me a lot of time to compose my history to you in order for you to have a fairly complete picture of my recent work up and tests. All you could reply was "something was overheating and depreciating my defenses". Please take an honest look at your reply and tell me that you gave an all-out effort to find an answer...I think not!
It has taken tooooooo long for anyone to reply so I want my money refunded!

I went carefully through your symtoms and tests and specialists that you visited over with a comb, I do not know if you expected me to write a medical textbook, just like your doctor had told you that your immune system is 'crashing'. I believe if he knew what was causing it, YOU WOULD NOT BE HERE

Our ody functions in equilibrium, when that equilibrium is disturbed, all components of the equilibruim shifts to accomodate the change. Sometimes for good, sometimes for the worse. Something in the present scheme of medications, food, water etc is 'crashing' your immune system.

Dissect ALL that you have 'taken' for the past 25 years. YOU DO NOT KNOW THE CHEMICAL FORMULAR AND STRUCTURE OF ANY OF THESE MEDICATIONS YOU ARE TAKING, all you know is that when you take it for X abdominal, smptom goes away. What about the effect on the liver, 5, 10, 15, 20 years from now.

In 1990 as a young medical doctor, there was a disorder called Pyrexia of undetermined Origin. A young girl of five was being treated for meningitis (diagnosed perfectlty), her fever refused to stop despite negative blood and CSF tests for 5 days. One bright German doctor reviewded the history and asked ALL antibiotics and medication stopped. That fever broke the next day and the girl was discharged within 48 hours.

I have within the limits of the standard here at just answer.com respected your disagreement with my opinion, opted out and allowed your question to be OPEN to other medical experts from all over the USA and beyond in this forum.

I have also requested that you communicate with the customer service regarding your complaints.

Refer to customer service