Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My gf has hardened tissue about 1" on her belly with a tiny…

Customer Question
my gf has hardened tissue...
my gf has hardened tissue about 1" on her belly with a tiny scab 1-2cm on the skin above it... can u help plz? im concerned it may be serious
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2010
Doctor: Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer:

I suggest that she follow-up with her doctor for closer evaluation to exclude any cancerous lesion. Other conditions to be considered include skin ulcer, or healed skin wound with insect bite. It is likely that there is associated infection. The treatment will depend on the exact nature of the lesion. In the meantime, I suggest that she keep the scab clean with peroxide and apply over the counter neosporin ointment to the scab twice daily until she sees her doctor.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
seriously doc, i could have said the same thing. i want an answer, not advice. give me something useful... you didn't even ask me anything. I would like a more in-depth answer, or im not paying for what iv'e already researched on other sites.
Thank you so much:

Would you be able to provide a picture of the lesion?

When did you first notice this problem?

The harden skin, has it always been there or new?

Is the lesion pain? itching?

Any other medical condition?

Please tell me any information which you feel is relevant to the initial appearance of this lesion.
sry no pic, shes 31, has given birth 6 or so yrs ago, just recently she noticed it, due to a tiny drop of blood on her shirt, she said it started out about a week ago with a small red bump beneath the surface wound, and the hard tissue/muscle(lump)? began afterwards, and has slowly been increasing in size. I want to believe it could be a spider bite, but never heard of tumor like symptoms developing because of that, unless a specific type of spider, but then again, what do I know, thats why i'm asking you. it is on her right side 2" right & 1" or so above the bellybutton. is there any other reason that would cause a scab to form on the outside, other than an outside infection*? ie; acne, etc?
Thank you so much:

It appears that it started from a bite or unintentional scratch which caused bleeding under the skin with subsequent clotting of the bleed, developing into a hematoma (hardened clot under the skin tissue). If she had old scar in the area, irritation of the scar through itching/scratch can breach the skin and cause the initial scab. Still keeping the area clean is important, but in addition, I suggest applying hot compresses to the area twice daily to promote resolution the hematoma. This should resolve within 2-4 weeks. Also, she needs closer evaluation of the lesion by her doctor, and test to evaluation her coagulation/bleeding status including bleeding time, PT, and PTT in order to exclude any underlying bleed disorder. Please let me know if you need more assistance.