Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a breast infection that started last Tuesday with a…

Customer Question
I have a breast infection...
I have a breast infection that started last Tuesday with a painful, red nipple and swollen aurole. Under the kind advice of a doctor on this site, I went to an internist on Thursday and was prescribed 500 ml 3x daily of Cephalexin. That day, there was a red splotch to the left of my nipple on the breast itself. Although redness is gone and the pain has subsided, I am still feeling twinges and sometimes under my armpit. I'm wondering if the Dr. should have prescribed 1000 ml as some internet postings have suggested. He did not say either way if I had an abscess but reading the internet tells me that I want this obliterated by taking the antibiotic for 10 days. I am post menopausal. No discharge from the nipple but the center of it is enlarged slightly versus the right nipple. Should I call the doctor to get a higher dose? BTW, my "facial dandruff" has also returned which is an auto immune response to something.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/15/2010
Doctor: Kayfarooq, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Kayfarooq
Kayfarooq, Board Certified Physician
hello and thanks for consulting just answer
cephalexin dose is 1 to 4 grams per day in divided doses.the dose also depends on the severity of infection and maximum dose is prescribed only when the infection is severe.you are taking 500mg three times a day which makes 1500mg per day,which is sufficiently controlling your infection.i hope it will be completly settled with the antibiotic course,but if the infection is treated but you still feel a swelling or a lump in your breast you need evaluation for that.
i hope it satisfies you
please click ACCEPT if you are satisfied so that just answer knows your request is fulfilled,a posotive feedback and a bonus will be appreciated,i am here for further help
best wishes