Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My bone has swelled in back of my ankle golf bal sizeand its…

Customer Question
my bone has swelled in...
my bone has swelled in back of my ankle golf bal sizeand its very pain full when i step down or even walk even at night when in bed it is so painful. What can i do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/15/2010
Doctor: Dr. Chauhan, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Chauhan
Dr. Chauhan, Doctor

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask you a few questions in order for me to understand your situation better thereby allowing me to help you better:

1) For how long are you having this problem and how did it start off? Any injury?

2) Any other symptoms/ significant medical issues or history?

3) Can you please describe this swelling in details, is it bony hard/ soft or firm, and does it move? Is it around the Achilles tendon?

4) Is your other foot/ ankle OK?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

It started about four months ago just notice cause i do alot of dancing started feeling the pain in the back of my heel at first it was just a pain then i notice it was swelling its hard its my bone just rounded out i should of said half of golf ball. Yes my foot is good my other foot and ankle is normal no pain.

Thanks for all the additional details. From the descriptions and details that you have provided, I think that we might be dealing with a mix of problems out here, and I think that your doctor would definitely like to consider the following possibilities once you check in with her/ him, which you must:

(a) Dancer’s heel (Posterior impingement syndrome)

(b) Bursitis

Since it has already been 4 months with this problem, I think it would be prudent to check in with your doctor for this, and an orthopedician would be most helpful. Usually ice, OTC Advil and physiotherapy, would be able to help to some extent in such conditions, but then we do need to get it checked up so as to confirm the cause, which will dictate further appropriate management.

I hope that this helps. Please feel free to inquire if you have any remaining concerns/ doubts, as it shall be a privilege and a pleasure to try and help as much as I can. Best wishes.

What is Dancer's heel and what is Bursitis please explain?

Thanks for the queries. A dancer is predisposed to stress over the foot and ankle bones and at times in some cases, where we have what is called an os trigonum, posterior impingement may occur.

Please have a look at this web resource for further details:

http://www.eorthopod.com/content/ankle-impingement-problems

Bursitis is a condition which follows inflammation of a bursa (which is a small fluid filled sac that acts like a cushion).

Kindly have a look at this web resource for further details:

http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bursitis/default.asp

Please feel free to inquire if you have any remaining concerns/ doubts, as it shall be a privilege and a pleasure to try and help as much as I can. Best wishes.