Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I tried to get a hold of the doctor that answered my

Customer Question
previous question so I could...
I tried to get a hold of the doctor that answered my previous question so I could accept. I wasn, t able to do it. I need to know it drinking a lot of beer for over a year that has caused itching and loss of apetite can be something other than cirrohsis
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/15/2010
Doctor: Dr. Randy Peters, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Randy Peters
it can. If you are looking for only alcohol-related possibilities, then you could add
- ulcers
- gastritis (inflammation of the lining of the stomach)
- pancreatitis (usually very dramatic and painful, so you would know if you had it)
- neuropathy (damage to the nerves)
All of these would cause a loss of appetite, among other things. Additionally the chronic use of alcohol, all by itself, contributes heavily to nutrition problems of various kinds, and poor nutrition can be associated with skin changes and itching. Many heavy drinkers are deficient in thiamine (a B vitamin), for example.

Additionally, the use of alcohol itself is associated with itching in patients who drink it regularly. That's a very particular type of itching called "formications" in which it feels like things are crawling on you.

So there are several different ways in which alcohol use and its associated conditions can be related to itching.

do you think I have cirrohsis as itching and loss of apetite are 2 symtomns of cirrohsis. I have been drinking beer heavily for a year and 5 months. could it be cirrohsis. what is causing my lack of apetite and itching
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Hello

Greetings

I can understand your concern regarding the itching and loss of appetite, but I would like you not to allow the knowledge (that these are symptoms of cirrhosis and that you drink a lot of beer) create unnecessary anxiety.

How old are you?

The itching you have is it there always? is it all over the body? Does it leave any wheals?

Do you have and discoloration of your eyes?

Cirrhosis is a chronic, destruction of the cells of the liver, and progressive replacement of the cells with 'scar' tissue and 'repair' nodules. It has a course, that cause many symptoms over time. While itching and loss of appetite are two of the symptoms there are many others, hence we cannot make a diagnosis based on the two.

This is what you must do.

You need to go to your PCP or clinic, and let them do a work up for you especially with the itching and history of alcohol consumption.

The blood tests that would be done include a liver function tests, kidney function tests, your lipid profile and your complete blood count.

The result from these would inform the doctor of a need for further tests.

Meanwhile get an antihistamine OTC, like cetrizine 10mg daily and a multivitamin like centrum, to relieve your symptoms while waiting to see a doctor ASAP