Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I,ve been drinking a lot of beer for over a year. now I

Customer Question
can,t eat and I itch...
I,ve been drinking a lot of beer for over a year. now I can,t eat and I itch all over. what does that mean do you think i have scarring of the liver
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/15/2010
Doctor: Kayfarooq, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Kayfarooq
Kayfarooq, Board Certified Physician
hello and thanks for consulting just answer
loss of appetite and itching are among the symptoms of alcoholic cirrhosis,but in advance liver disease there are many other symptoms like.abdominal pain,fatigue,fever,fluid retention in the abdomen,jaundice,confusion,agitation,vomiting containing blood,black colored stool...moreover alcoholic cirrhosis occurs years after excessive drinking,usually not after a year.but even if you are concerned about it i would recommend an abdominal ultrasound to see your liver,so that it can be ruled out
i hope it satisfies you
please click ACCEPT if you are satisfied so that just answer knows your request is fulfilled,a positive feedback and a bonus will be appreciated,i am here for further help
best wishes
  • Abnormally dark or light skin
  • Agitation
  • Bloody, dark black, or tarry bowel movements (melena)
  • Breast development in males
  • Changing mood
  • Confusion (encephalopathy)
    • Changed level of consciousness
    • Hallucinations
    • Impaired short- or long-term memory
do you think I have cirrohois. i don,t have any of those other symtomns. do they have to do a liver biopsy because i refuse to have that done. can they give me medication to make me better
do you think I have cirrohois. i don,t have any of those other symtomns. do they have to do a liver biopsy because i refuse to have that done. can they give me medication to make me better do you think i have scarring of the liver. will they be able to help me
do you think I have cirrohois. i don,t have any of those other symtomns. do they have to do a liver biopsy because i refuse to have that done. can they give me medication to make me better do you think i have scarring of the liver. will they be able to help mecould anything else besides cirrohsis cause the itching and lack of apetite
no you donot need a biopsy at the moment,you need an ultrasound first to see any changes in your liver,if they find any changes in the liver ,biopsy is the next step,i donot think you have a cirrhosis at the moment,chances of its occurrence after 1 year of drinking are rare,but it can occur if you continue taking excessive alcohol for years.yes you can consult your doctor to prescribe treatment for itching and poor appetite.
i hope you are satisfied
please donot forget to click ACCEPT
best wishes
if they find changes in the liver and i don,t have a biopsy what will happen
the diagnosis of liver cirrhosis can be confirmed on liver biopsy.in cases where a person has all the symptoms of cirrhosis that i have mentioned,liver biopsy is usually not done.but in cases where there are changes in the liver but donot have all the symptoms liver biopsy can rule out cirrhosis
it is possible that you might not need liver biopsy,as i have told you already that chances of cirrhosis after one year of exceesive drinking is rare
best wishes
you are saying that since i don,t have most of the symtomns of cirrohsis i probably won,t need a biopsy
i mean this
but you must consult a your doctor,for itching and appetite problem
please click ACCEPT if you are satisfied
you are saying that since i don,t have most of the symtomns of cirrohsis i probably won,t need a biopsy will the ultrasound show if i have cirrohosis
ultrasound can show cirrhosis
if i have cirrohsis which you said was rare to have after drinking excessively for over a year. what if i refuse to have the biopsy. will they still be able to treat me and if i stop drinking that will help right
a patient has right to refuse if he doesnot want to undergo a procedure,and a doctor cannot refuse to treat a patient on this basis,and yes stop drinking will help a lot
best wishes
please donot forget to click ACCEPT
you mean the doctor can make me have it done
you mean the doctor can make me have it done could my condition be a result of inflammation of the liver
you mean the doctor can make me have it done could my condition be a result of inflammation of the liver would that cause itching and loss of apetite