Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 55 year old female. I have a very unusual medical…

Customer Question
I am a 55 year...
I am a 55 year old female. I have a very unusual medical problem. This is embarrassing so I will just spit it out. The muscles in my rectum area have gone very lax. What this means to me is that when I have a bowel movement I do not have the muscle strength to hold it in until I get to the restroom. This is especially true if I have loose bowels. But on the other hand if my bowels get to hard, I don't have the muscle strength to push them out. I have seen my personal DR about this problem and he sent me to a nerve Dr.
This Dr stuck me with 4 needles to stimulate the muscles. That worked for about 6 months, but now my problem is back, as bad as before the shots. I also have problems with my feet swelling and hurting after being on them for more than 3 or 4 hours.
I am also extremely tired all the time. If no one woke me up, I could sleep 30 to 40 hours straight. I am being treated for the following: High blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/14/2010
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago

What was the diagnosis for your rectal problem? Have you been screened for autoimmune disorders, multiple sclerosis, low cortisol, low thyroid, and peripheral neuropathy?

I was not given a "diagnosis" for my problem. One Dr wants to send me to another DR and he wants me to see someone else and frankly I cannot afford all of these expensive Drs. I do not believe that I have been tested for any of the conditions you have asked

about. I have had a full MRI and a lot of blood tests.

What was the MRI of?
I believe it was of my whole body. Is there a specific test for MS?
OK--there's a lot going on with you, and I won't be able to come up with just one great diagnosis. One of your problems is the cost of the workup, and I'm assuming you don't have insurance or yours is limited. Any of the conditions I mentioned above could be involved--perhaps more than one. The rectal problem suggest a neurological cause, from a spinal cord/nerve root compression from spinal stenosis or herniated disks, but an MRI would have picked that up. MS is diagnosed with a brain MRI and, if needed, a spinal tap. Rectal prolapse could also be involved, but physical examination and endoscopy would show that. Nerve conduction studies would show neuropathy. As you can see, I think you need a more complete and thorough work up, but, as I said, you may not be able to afford it.
How do I approach my personal doctor about what tests I believe need to be done?
Tell him you talked with me. I do trauma surgery and critical care, and am well-versed in many areas of medicine. I think you need a neurology consult, MRI of the brain, screening for autoimmune disorders, low cortisol levels, and a referral to a gastroenterologist for endoscopy.
Is there anything that I can do on my own while waiting for these tests? I do have insurance, but sometimes the 20% we have to pay can get quite costly.
Except for antiinflammatories and taking fiber and stool softeners so you don't have to strain when having a bowel movement, there's little else until you talk with your doctor.
Relist: I don't know any more now than I did before I asked my original question. I don't know what I was expecting. I guess that I wondered if anyone else had ever had the same problems that I am having. And how many times do you go to your own doctor for the same complaint?
I'm a little disappointed in your comment, since I did try to guide you into some other areas to explore, and I can't change how you doctor goes about seeking an answer for your. I don't think any other expert could come up with just one diagnosis for all that's going on. What more information can I offer you?

So basically all you are telling me is to go back to my Doctor and ask for more tests?

If I have any of the illnesses that you are suggesting, are there treatments and cures?

There certainly isn't anything more I can do over the internet but give you my opinion as to what might be going on and how I would approach it were I your doctor--you really shouldn't expect any more from anyone else in this scenario. Depending on what might be going on, of course there are treatments, but, for most of the diagnoses I mentioned there are no absolute cures. If it were a matter of a spinal problem, it's possible surgery could help with the rectal condition, as it could with rectal prolapse. MS. peripheral neuropathy, autoimmune disorders all have treatments available but no cures as yet.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with my response earlier. Please understand that this is a very embarrassing problem. When I have to call my husband to bring me clean clothes to work because I didn't get to the restroom quick enough. It's not even something I can talk to my boss about. I understand that there isn't anything you can do for me over the internet, I'm not that naive. My husband suggested that I email DR OZ and maybe he could help me find the answers to my problems. You see on TV how they bring people on and help them financially or medically. I just feel like I need help, and you did not show any real care or concern for me. Sometimes I feel the same way about my own doctor, and I trust him with my life.
Sorry you feel I don't care, especially when I do--I've spent a good deal of time with you here. I think you might be equating my not being able to immediately solve your problems with one answer to my not caring. It may be that, if further work up as I've suggested shows the exact problem with your rectal condition, there would be therapy and/or surgery that could help. It's just that, for now, I don't think even Dr. Oz could change your present circumstances.