Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have question: what are the questions that I should be…

Customer Question
I have a follow up...
I have a follow up question: what are the questions that I should be asking my internal medicine doctor that will be precise and to the point about the thyroid gland area growth, high chloride and electrolytes. And maybe a tough one here, why if I have a higher chloride count would Gatorade be helping? Wouldn't that raise the chloride(salt) count higher? Or would it be equaled out by the potassium that's in Gatorade, and wouldn't that make the potassium more important? Shots in the dark I know, but still...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/15/2010
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

A high chloride count may correspond with a low bicarbonate count. Chloride is a negative ion and there is going to be a balance of negative ions which balance the positive ions(main one is sodium and potassium also is a positive ion) A high chloride count and a low bicarbonate may be caused by a metabolic acidosis. This may relate to your renal function. Your doctor may need to evaluate your kidney function and acid /base balance.

This particular issue is not likely to correspond with the thyroid gland. The most common growth within the thyroid may be a goiter which is comprised of thyroid tissue. Often there are multinodular goiters. You also have four parathyroid glands in the thyroid. These four glands release separate hormones. Parathyroid hormone and calcitonin regulate the calcium in the body (and phosphorus). Your thyroid gland regulates thyroxine which is related to the regulation of the body's metabolic rate. So if you have a thyroid growth then the tests you may need might include a thyroid ultrasound, Thyroxine levels(T3 and T4) TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). Possibly you may need to have a radioiodine uptake test if they need to distinguish hot nodules(active) from cold nodules (inactive). Possibly you might need to have your calcium, phosphorus and PTH levels checked. Depending on the direction of initial studies you might need a fine needle aspiration of a nodule if it is questionable. The majority of thyroid nodules are benign but there are small percentage of these which can be malignant.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD