Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

1989, moved to Denver, had a very severe infection from an…

Customer Question
1989, moved to Denver, had...
1989, moved to Denver, had a very severe infection from an IUD. Doc put me on 3 very strong antiobiotics. After the infection went away, I could no longer smell. Went to an ENT but he couldn't think of anything to help. I would dearly love to smell - anything! Help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2010
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
I will refer you to an ENT expert who is online now and hopefully he can answer you with your concerns.
Regards
Thanks!
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Since dr shahzad has referred your question to me i will try to help you.

Do you have one or more of the following symptoms?

Since how long you are having these symptoms

Nasal obstruction

Nasal discharge

Fluid trickling in the throat, constant desire to clear the throat

Headache

Vision problem

Did you get Some fever of respiratory tract infection when that issue started.

What was the name of the spray and did you use it.

Regards

I have none of these other problems, but I am prone to upper respiratory infections, although I did not have one at the time. I thought the antibiotics caused it, but my doc said no.

Sorry, it was 20 years ago, and I do not remember the name of the spray, and I used it all up.

Hope that helps (probably makes it worse)

Thanks for your input.

I am sorry but i donot want to give you any false hope.

The smell sense can get affected by upper respiratory tract infections, usually viral ones but most of the time it comes back within few months, if the smell doesnot come back within one year time it is the worst prognostic sign. Antibiotics donot cause this problem.

Since you had it for last twenty years ago, i am not suspecting other causes like brain lesion because by this time it must have manifested.

Taking a short course of oral steroids is an option for you but the chances of recovery are minimal.

I am sorry for all this but i think i have to show you a true picture so that you go in the right direction.

Regards ***** *****

Dr Hasan

You have confirmed what I had thought, sadly. Thank you for your caring and prayers.

Mary

You are always welcome.

Click the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied

If you need further clarification you are welcome.

Regards