Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 28 yr old male who drinks alcohol on the weekends.

Customer Question
After I have heavy drinking...
I am a 28 yr old male who drinks alcohol on the weekends. After I have heavy drinking sesions which I smoke cigarettes on too, I sometimes get a sharp pain which feels like is in my heart. I then for the whole next day become very aware that my heart beat is more obvious. I have visited lots of doctors who all tell me my heart is fine. I know the obvious answer is to stop drinking or to cut down but my father died at 44 due to a poor heart and he didnt drink so im concerned there is something passed down to me. 1 doctor suggested that i may have weak carteledge around my ribs that is weakened by alcohol. He suggested taking vitamin B1 but this sounds a bit strange to me. Is there anything else it could be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/14/2010
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
One possibility is what is called as precordial catch syndrome. In this condition a person usually has severe sharp pain in the chest on the left side that lasts for a few seconds and then goes away. This is not something to worry about and does not represent a heart disease. Unfortunately there is no cure for this condition and this condition may go away on itself with time. Regards