Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dear Drs. When I hit menopause. My Blood pressure difficult…

Customer Question
Dear Drs. When I hit...
Dear Drs. When I hit menopause. My Blood pressure difficult to control. I keep record of BP meds take with no results (4 pages). My colestrol level rose from 170 to over 200s. In 2000, was diagnosed with Epstein Bar, Extremely tired, throat gland swell, and develop cankor sores in mouth. Lots of sleep undo most of the symtoms. In 2004 my BP high again. No engergy, felt sick but not nauseated, just sick, wicked headaches. Had an angioplasty on both arteries to my kidneys. That helped my BP at 1st. Went on a candida diet, started to feel much better. 2008 I broke my back T-12 (soft bones). My BP went crazy and have felt bad since then. Had allergy tests - tested negative to almost all foods. Get 2 shots weekly for pollens, etc - see no change. I have diagnosed myself as Autoimmune with "Leaky gut syndrome." BP uncontrolable again, debilatating headaches, tired alot, feel sick. Can't eat same food 3-4 days in a row, get sicker. Had a Dr. working with me, but he died.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/14/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

How can we be of assistance?

I reviewed your other post, but will answer here so that it is easier to follow the post with your symptoms.

There are several issues to consider regarding your symptoms, and your doctors may have already considered them. Persons with arterial narrowing to the kidneys will frequently present with persistent severe hypertension. The fact that the angioplasty of the kidney arteries helped at first, but is not helping at present would suggest that there should be repeat studies to determine whether the narrowing has returned. There are other conditions that can also cause high blood pressure that is difficult to control, including other kidney diseases, adrenal disease, thyroid disease, and sleep apnea. In most persons with hypertension that is difficult to control, though, no underlying condition can be identified, and it may require multiple medicines to achieve control. You have already seen the usual specialists that would assist in management of these conditions. Most persons can be managed by their primary care physician/internal medicine doctor, who can also perform the initial evaluation for endocrine diseases or sleep apnea, if appropriate. A Cardiologist (heart doctor) is the usual specialist to see if specialty consultation for hypertension is necessary. A Nephrologist (kidney doctor) is the usual specialist for kidney diseases that affect blood pressure. It may be necessary to see an Endocrinologist for certain endocrine abnormalities or a Pulmonary specialist for sleep apnea.

The diagnosis of leaky gut syndrome is controversial. There is no good scientific study that confirms the disease and no study that proves that any of the proposed treatments work for the disorder. There is certainly no problem with following the dietary restrictions that are recommended for treatment of the disease, although many people find it difficult to eliminate all the foods that are excluded. The supplements that are suggested for the condition although are generally very well tolerated. The appropriate specialist to see for evaluation of the gut is a Gastroenterologist.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
What is a doctor of hematology?

A Hematologist is a specialist in the treatment of blood disorders. They are also trained in the medical treatment of cancers, so are also referred to as Hematologist/Oncologists.

What supplements are suggested?

Supplements that have been suggested to help with leaky gut syndrome include probiotics, fiber, glutamine, Barley Grass, slippery elm, peppermint tea, liquorice root, and blue green algae, along with a good general multi-vitamin.

I aggreed to signed up for further answers for a month. Please discontinue that agreement. thank you

You should contact customer service, who can assist you with this. They can be contacted at *****@******.***.