Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a condition what i think is some kind of ear

Customer Question
infection on the top side...
i have a condition what i think is some kind of ear infection on the top side of my outer ear from time to time it feels sore and has a clear fluid that has astrong smell its not really painful but i am concerned that it is a reocccuring thing i put tripple antibiotic ointment and it seems to go away only to return in a week or so any ideas on what this might be and how to go about treating it
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/14/2010
Doctor: DrOAB, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
DrOAB
DrOAB, Doctor (MD)

Hello from JustAnswer!

Since the skin does not appear to be healing despite the use of an antimicrobial salve, it is possible that you have developed a bacterial infection resistant to the over-the-counter-strength salve alone (in particular, I would suspect impetigo due to streptococcal and/or staphylococcal skin bacteria if you note a honey-colored crust).

If you note any spreading skin redness, marked swelling or tenderness to touch, white or yellow-green skin discharge (pus), or any fever (temperature at or above 100.4 F or 38 C), then please see a doctor promptly since oral antibiotics may be necessary.

If none of those 'red alert' symptoms apply, then you might try the following regimen 3-4 times per day for 1-2 days:

1. Clean the area with Hibiclens, an over-the-counter antimicrobial skin cleanser, then pat dry.
2. Apply a very warm washcloth to the area for 10 minutes.
3. Apply a layer of Polysporin or Neosporin over-the-counter antibiotic ointment (your triple salve is probably equivalent to Neosporin, so perhaps consider using Polysporin instead).

If after 1-2 days of this regimen the area has not improved or has worsened, see your primary care doctor. If the area does improve after 1-2 days of this regimen, then continue the regimen for a total of 7 days and reassess for improvement.

Please give me an update after 24 hours if you follow the treatment regimen.

If you have a related follow-up question, feel free to ask.

This question is still listed as "customer action pending" after you reviewed my answer.

Did you find the answer Acceptable or do you have related follow-up questions to ask?