Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had surgery on the little finger of my left hand two…

Customer Question
i've had surgery on the...
i've had surgery on the little finger of my left hand two days ago. the injury was caused by a table saw blade. it required 24 stitches in the urgent care procedure and a bone fragment was worked on within the surgery along ith other corrections.
what am i to expect during recovery? how long does the pain last? how long to heal enough so that some sense of normality occurs? and any general advise will be certainly appreciated.
thank you!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/14/2010
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
The finger should immobilized for about 6 weeks to allow it to heal. The pain will last some time, and you need meds for that. Most likely after the splint is removed, hand therapy should be started as the finger will be very stiff and won't bend
what over the counter meds approach the narcotic ones as they constipate causing my hemhoroids to bleed?
how long is "some time" regarding the pain?
No over the counter pain meds, such as tylenol or motrin come close to the strength of narcotics. I can't predict how long you will have pain.
Relist: Answer quality.
Doctor: Ken, Postgraduate doctor replied 8 years ago
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
I can understand your anxiety.
24 stitches for a little finger suggests that the injury was severe. Pain after a fracture is due to inflammation there. Increased blood flow at the fracture site helps to heal the fracture earlier but it also causes pain. Other cause of pain can be infection/ abnormal fractured bone positioning/ nerve injury. If you do not get any complications than pain should go off in few days { 3 to 4 days}. Although dull ache may be felt due to injured tissue. With age bones loose calcium and vascularity also reduces. This may increase time of healing, but with proper immobilization you should be fine in around 6 weeks. Analgesics are needed to overcome pain and the type depends on severity of injury and your ability to bear the pain {if I should say}. Keeping it immobile forms the base of healing and that is most important.
Have balanced diet and adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ have rest.
Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. God bless
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor