Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is the expected recovery time ( from acute pain ) after…

Customer Question
what is the expected recovery...
what is the expected recovery time ( from acute pain ) after treatment for a ruptured kidney ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2010
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Do you know if there is a large hematoma (blood) around the kidney itself (subcapsular hematoma)?
OK.

Since you are offline, I'll leave the answer here.

Basically, the resolution of pain often depends on how much bleeding there was in the area around the kidney.

When there is bleeding around the kidney, which stretches the capsule that surrounds the kidney -- there is often pretty severe pain in that area.

So, in general, it often takes a couple of weeks to several weeks for the pain to improve back to normal (depending on how much bleeding there was). But as the blood is reabsorbed, the pain should improve. With the accident only 6 days ago, it is expected that there is still a fair amount of pain, but this should improve over the next few weeks.