Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have asked my partner to leave the home after another

Customer Question
drinking binge. he does not...
i have asked my partner to leave the home after another drinking binge. he does not drink every day, can sometimes go over a week without a drink. Sometimes he is capable of having a couple then come home. but more often he goes binge drinking for several hours as though he is incapable of stopping, he then becomes abusive like the world is against him, Sober he is a wonderful manbut after a binge he is hateful, hes like a strange drunk forcing his way into the house and I'm powerless to do anything about it. Is he an alcoholic?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/13/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Generally speaking, a person that is drinking alcohol to the point that it is causing significant difficulty in their life and they continue to drink, then he/she is an alcoholic. It does appear that your partner has reached this level.

Is making him leave the right thing to do, he had a heart attack 2 years ago and I'm worried that if if I "give up on him" as he puts it, he will spend more and more time drinking as I won't be there to deter him. All he has is me and his drinking buddies. Is there any other advice you can give me?

You are in a difficult position. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a person to hit rock bottom before they will quit drinking. If you continue to allow him to stay despite any behavior that he does, you are just facilitating his alcoholism. The best advice that I can give you is to seek out support for yourself. There is an organization that is designed to help persons that are affected by someone close to them that drinks, called Al-Anon. They have support groups in most communities. You can visit their web page at http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/.