Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Had a metal cylinder fall on foot 2 yrs ago had numerous…

Customer Question
had a metal cylinder fall...
had a metal cylinder fall on foot 2 yrs ago had numerous broken bones including 2nd toe metatarsal in april of this year had to have the middle joint removed to damaged after metatarsal surgery my 2nd toe is rising upward and if standing more than 10 mintues its starts to turn blue doctor is not sure whats going on I know when she bends the toe back she said the tendon raises up that it is streching where the incision line is i have pain in my toe at the base of the toe where it goes into the foot any ideas she is sending me for an mri
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/13/2010
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
I would be concerned that the local arterial circulation to the toe is compromised from the trauma and the surgeries. You might want to see a vascular surgeon for this problem. The blue color indicates poor circulation.
would a mri show this
No likely to show up on an MRI. There is another type of MRI , called MRA, where the arteries are examined. A plain MRI doesn't show arteries well.
what would cause my toe to stay raised up above other toes
I suspect it's an anatomical problem from the trauma and surgery. That I can't answer without an exam and seeing the foot xrays. I'd bet your foot anatomy is not normal and the toe is malaligned.
can anything be done to fix it
Can't really answer yes or no without seeing the films. I would think that a foot surgeon would be able to help, but that's something only the doctors can answer when they examine you and check out your xrays.