Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

About 8 weeks ago a 5 gal bucket of joint compound (50

Customer Question
pounds +) dropped on my...
About 8 weeks ago a 5 gal bucket of joint compound (50 pounds +) dropped on my lett foot either cracking or breaking one foot bone and the toe next to the big toe. It stayed swelled up to this date but was getting better. About three weeks after the first incident my helpers allowed a ten foot 2 x 8 to drop on the same foot in the same location. About 90% of the swelling on the top of the foot eventualy went down but the toe stayed swelled up. The discoloration went almost totally away.
About ten days ago we had a stretch of hot weather here in NJ. I worked long hours, 7 am till 10 pm, and my feet were very sweaty all day long. A rash started with small blisters around the toes and on top of the foot. I have had bad athletes foot problems before and it was very different. Most of the blisters stayed intact and were in deeper skin layers than athletes foot. Now the blisters are large with dull pain and some itching. Went to local Dr, x=rayed & antibotics; now much worse.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/13/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello from JA interesting situation.
You should not break blisters.
Looking at this situation as a whole, several points need to be made.
You need xrays for the fracture progress assessment if you have not had them.

The anti-biotic treatment is for bacterial infection and one bacterial that can spread like this, with blister formation, is staph.

Specifically, your anti-biotic does not cover MRSA or methicillin resistant staff. An ointment called mupirocin is fairly good at doing this.

As far as the home remedies, tea tree oil has had some data that it works on mrsa but this study was with an injectable form of the oil. The problem with home remedies such as oregano oil is that they are indeed anti-septic but not specific to a given bug and often, in theory, can select the more resistant bugs [resistant to the oil], just as the wrong anti-biotic will do.

I would call your doc's answering service and have the doc on call order some mupirocin right now, and since this is getting worse I would have it examined hands on asap.
good luck
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback most appreciated. Bonuses very helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.