Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I get very sharp intense pain on the right side of my head…

Customer Question
i get very sharp intense...
i get very sharp intense pain on the right side of my head and in through my eye and neck. its been happening more often and especially when iam intamite with my with wife. any suggestions what might be happening
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/13/2010
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Since how long are you having this pain? How often do you have the pain? Do you have any other medical conditions? Have you been to any doctor or had any tests done for this as yet? Do you have any symptoms such as nausea or vomiting associated with the headache? Please let me know. Regards
i have high blod pressure and cholesterol idont vomit or have nausea. its feels like the is pressure across my forehead and the last couple of days i get the real intense shooting pain on the right side of my head hurts to the point iam almost in tears
Sorry for asking so many questions, I would appreciate it if you could answer these last few questions so that I can make a better assessment.
Is your blood pressure usually under control? Does your headache usually starts when you have intercourse with your wife or does it happen even without that as well? Since how long are you having these headaches? How frequently do you have these episodes? Do you have eye pain with your headache as well?
for the most part my blod pressure is under control havent taken my meds in about a week waiting for my mail order to come in the headaches happen at any time they have been happening a bout a month or so but the intense shooting pain has been a bout a week it feels like pressure behind my eyes
The first possibility that strikes my mind with your symptoms that you are describing is a what we call as a "cluster headaches". In this type of headache a person can have episodes of sharp, excruciating pain that lasts for anywhere between 5 minutes to 180 minutes and then subsides. I would recommend that you consult your doctor preferably a neurologist for further evaluation of your condition and confirmation of your diagnosis. Although over the counter medications such as Motrin or aleve may help but they are frequently ineffective and one will usually require prescription medications for these kind of headaches. Regards