Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am experiencing pain under my big toe nail. I cut the nail…

Customer Question
I am experiencing pain under...
I am experiencing pain under my big toe nail. I cut the nail yesterday and noticed a small amount of a white/yellow puss under the nail. The skin around the cuticle appears to be swollen and slightly red as well. what could this be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/13/2010
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms so that I can try to answer your question better. Is it at the side or in the middle of the nail? did you have an injury? Any past illness?

Regards.
It feels like the bottom of the nail or left side. I have not injured it. I do run vigorously on en elipticle daily. usually 5 miles at a 7 minute mile pace although have not injured myself on it. the nail hurts when i apple pressure to it.
Thank you for the input.

I shall try my best to explain the condition.
Your are likely having an infection under the nail. It can be paronychia too. The presence of yellow pus suggests that there has been formation of abscess. I would recommend that you show it to doctor. It may need to be drained . Oral antibiotic can be needed too. In the meantime you should keep it clean. You can apply a local antibiotic cream like neosporin & keep it covered with sterile gauze.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.