Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What should I do. I cannot eat fruits and vegetables and…

Customer Question
What should I do....
What should I do. I cannot eat fruits and vegetables and other food. May 2009 I was told that I have diabetes. My prescription is januvia 25 mg. At times when I bend down I would get dizzy.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/12/2010
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Thanks for your question.

Even though you have diabetes, there is no contraindication to eating fruits, vegetables, meat, or other food.

As long as you are watching the daily caloric intake ( 1200-1400 kcal diet), you should do well.

Januvia is not a first line diabetes treatment.

Besides , januvia causes loss of appetite, which may be partly responsible for your not being able to eat.

Metformin and glipizide should be tried first before januvia, as they are better medications.

Please consider seeing a diabetes specialist (endocrinologist) for better management if your doctor is not comfortable taking care of your problems.

Please see a dietitian to know more about diabetic diet.

Please go to this website to find some good recipes on diabetic diet:

http://www.diabeticdietfordiabetes.com/

I did not ask my question the correct way. I cannot have fruits and vegetables approximtely 30 years. I was told by my doctor that I have diabetes. I am eating other food but having problems with my stomach. The doctor also prescribed acid reducer -omeprazole. Still have problems if and when I eat certain food.

When I receive an answer I wouild like to ask another question.

Hyacinth Genus - e-mail *****@******.***

If you still have some problem with certain food in spite of taking omeprazole, then you are most likely intolerant to those food items ( food allergy). Food allergy is difficult to treat, but sometimes desensitization is possible by gradually introducing the food item in small amounts over time.