Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had neck shoulder and pain for about three years

Customer Question
ihave had steriod injections but...
i have had neck shoulder and pain for about three years ihave had steriod injections but has got worse with swelling and heaviness im waiting for a mri scan but today the is ten times worse and can hardly use it it has got worse after having a heart attack in november last year iam 49 thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/12/2010
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 years ago

Greetings.

Are your neck and shoulder movements both painful?

Was there any injury to the neck or shoulder?

Were the steroid given in spine (epidural)?

Are you diabetic?

Dr. Arun

the shoulder and upper arm are more painful than my neck but there is some pain iam diabetic thesteroid injections were given in my elbow as my doctor thought it was tennis elbow i have not injured myself

Your symptoms suggest frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis).

Majority of people with frozen shoulder will respond to physical therapy alone. The program should be aggressive, daily and assisted by the physical therapist. The regimen consists of active and active-assistive range-of-motion exercises combined with stretching. Pain may occur early but within six to eight weeks progress is usually made. Other treatment modalities such as heat and massage may help. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics may also be beneficial. Deep electrotherapy in the form of short wave diathermy, Interferential current, trans cutaneous electrical stimulation, iontophoresis, phonophoresis also is very helpful.

Those people who do not respond to the physical therapy are considered for the following;

1) A subacromial corticosteroid injection

2) A glenohumeral intra articular injection combined with saline dilation

3) Manipulation under anesthesia

4) Surgery; arthroscopic or open releases

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun