Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had severe allergies to tree pollen for the past three…

Customer Question
I had severe allergies to...
I had severe allergies to tree pollen for the past three weeks. Saw my MD for my 6 mo. on BP two weeks ago, all fine except allergies. Survivor of NSCLC 8 years. Have problem with smoking cessation. Have a cough that won't go away with mucous and last night I started coughing up some pussy looking, bloody mucous. Not all blood, just small amounts mixed in and not every time. Looks kind of like when a skin infection drains. No chest pain but light headed and somewhat dizzy off and on. Whole body feels fuzzy like when being put under anesthesia, not constantly, off and on. Could this be a blod clot or just irritation from coughing or infection like a cyst on my lung? Need advice on whether to call my MD, go to ER or just wait it out the weekend. Really don't want to go to ER. I had an upper left lobectomy, no treatment,8 years. I also have some cramping across my back in rib area off and on since yesterday.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/12/2010
Doctor: Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the worsening or acute exacerbation of bronchitis due to the recent allegies. The blood likely occurred due to airway inflammation and bleed. However, given you history of smoking and NSCLC, it is important that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation, and prompt treatment. You will need complete blood count, Chem-12, PT, PTT, INR, chest X-ray, CT Scan of the chest, bronchoscopy with biopsy by a pulmonary specialist. In the meantime, you need to control your allergy medication with over counter Zyretc 1 pill daily, immediate antibiotics coverage and evaluation to exclude persisting bleeding given your light headed and fuzzy like sensation. I suggest that you call you doctor as soon as possible, and/or seek urgent medical care. Waiting until after the weekend may not be the best option if your are getting worse. You need to get started on antibiotics such as Levaquin or Augmentin immediately.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
I am allergic to penicillin and had reactions to Levaquin last year. I actually had the same thing happen a year ago same time and was put on Levaquin without a chest x-ray to confirm pneumonia. The only thing that scares me is the fuzzy feeling but it is not constant. Last year I had very bad dizziness but not as bad this time. It is just a weird sensation. I need to know what worsening of symptoms should prompt me to seek help as I am not likely to do so until Monday if it is not life threatening. Thank you.
Thank you so much:

You can follow-up with your doctor on Monday if your condition remain the same. However, if you experience worsened dizziness and fuzzy sensation it would suggest either increase internal bleeding and/or spread/worsening of bacterial infection. Since you you are allergic to penicillin and had bad reactions to Levaquin there are other antibiotics can be safely used.