Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

We are a 70 year ol d couple. We ae citizens of this

Customer Question
Hi, We are a 70...
Hi, We are a 70 year ol d couple. We ae citizens of this Country. We seek your help. We have Part B medicare, but cannot afford to pay for Medicare Part A. We were asked to pay about $600 per month per person. We have not worked long enough to contribute to SS. We did not spend our working years here. Can you help us to find a reasonable insurance that can take us on? All the companies that we have tried accept up to 64 years. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/12/2010
Doctor: Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
I'm sorry about your dilemma - but actually, $1200 per couple is actually a fair market price - as couples in their 30/40's pay close to $1500 per month - so if Medicare is asking for $600 per person - I would recommend taking that unless you want to chance just paying out of pocket, which some people do.
Hi, Thanks for your advice. We just cannot affordto pay $1200 per month. We are retirees and do not have that kind of money. As I said, we are paying for Part B. Our concern is if we have to go into hospital,how can we pay that bill. Thanks anyway.
Good luck. Take care.
Hi, You did not really made the search I was expecing. You just said Good Luck and thanks. Is that all? You mean that there is no insurance out there that we can try? What do people do when they can't afford to pay much for an insurance policy? Please help us.Thanks
Honestly there really is no specific health insurance for people over the age of 65 in the U.S. because Medicare kicks in, so when you want Medicare Part A and Part D - you basically are going through an agency that just pays the government for the fee - bot***** *****ne, there really is no free insurance and things will not change even with Obama care as many people are believing - this is a lie. So, basically, when people can't pay for the insurance, they just do not pay - that is your right in the U.S. and then what happens is that the hospital and doctors then send you a bill for service not covered by medicare - fairly simple. There are some services that go through AARP - but most of these are just 'front stores' for the government, nothing more.