Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Could I have liver disease after over a year of drinking…

Customer Question
could I have liver disease...
could I have liver disease after over a year of drinking heavily and what would my symtomns be
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/12/2010
Doctor: dr.sehr, Doctor replied 8 years ago
dr.sehr
dr.sehr, Doctor
HI,

WELLCOME TO JUSTANSWER,

Excessive and prolonged intake of alcohol lead to following liver symptoms.
  • feeling some pain in the liver (place your right hand over the lower right hand side of your ribs
  • having a general feeling of poor health and fatigue
  • loss of appetite,irregular bowel movements
  • a sick, nauseous feeling
  • bloating / gas / indigestion after eating
  • skin problems like dry skin / itching /eczema / acne / psoriasis
  • dark circles under the eyes
  • unpleasant body odors and bad breath

If you have any of the following specific symptoms, it is likely that your liver is already quite badly damaged with alcoholic hepatitis then contact your dr.urgently,

• yellow eyes or, in more severe cases, yellow skin (jaundice)
  • vomiting blood (haematemesis)
  • dark black, tarry, stools (melena)
  • significant weight loss
GOD BLESS YOU,

REGARDS
I have loss of apetite and itching that started today
Ok

You need to go for liver function test and ultrasound abdomen to confirm that these

symptoms are due to liver problems. So that a proper treatment can be given. Thanks
can they help me if i have liver disease

Hi

Its much better to identify the problem first in order to treat it right.Yes ofcourse they will help ya in treatment after its true diagnosis.

Regards

I contacted my doctor and they didn,t seem too alarmed about the itching or loss of apetite. one doctor told me that it doesn,t neccessarily mean I have liver disease..do I have to have a liver biopsy