Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How does a blood glucose remains high after receiving a

Customer Question
How long does a blood...
How long does a blood glucose remains high after receiving a glucose injection
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/12/2010
Doctor: Dr. B., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
are you diagnosed of any medical condition?
was it intravenous glucose or oral glucose?

I am diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and my AIC is around 7.2. The treatment I received for my shoulder was intravenous -not oral. I received this injection on 6/10/10.

Since receiving it my blood sugar hs been on the rise. I played golf today and was surprised that the exercise did not lower the blood glucose. Hope this is sufficient in formatiuon. By the way all my other internal parts, such as kidney, liver, etc are completely normal.

DearCustomer

I am sorry to know about your elevated blood glucose levels,

Based on what you mentioned,glucose iv given on 6/10/10 will not remain elevated so long,as it has a half life of 2-3 hrs,and as you must be on diabetic medications,so it is least likely.
I will advise that you ask your physician to take your fasting blood glucose in night before sleeping ,in morningbefore breakfast and in afternoon.Most likely he may have to re adjust the dosage of diabetic medications,as it seems they are not able to control your blood glucose levels.I am also mentioning looking at your Hba1c levels.

Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.