Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 30 years old and after breastfeeding my 4 month old…

Customer Question
I am 30 years old...
I am 30 years old and after breastfeeding my 4 month old noticed a lump was not going away. Its been there for a few days and with all lumps prior they have disappeared after my baby has emptied the breast. He has just emptied my breast again and I still feel a large lump there. It is not painful (which makes me think its not mastitis) and is the size of a prune and doesn't seem to move as I touch it. Its below my nipple and areola and back towards my body. Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/11/2010
Doctor: Dr. B., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Dear jacustomer,

Based on what you mentioned,the data suggests that most lumps in the breasts of nursing mothers are due to galactoceles (milk-filled cysts) and may be caused by the blockage of a milk duct,so i will advise that you see a physician who can do a physical exam,to confirm this.
Infection or malignancy seems less likely based on what you described.

Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.

Relist: Answer quality.
answer too vague and seemed 'standard'
Please let me know ,what clarification you need.

Thanks for your patience