Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My father is experiencing terrible back pain and is afraid…

Customer Question
my father is experiencing terrible...
my father is experiencing terrible back pain and is afraid to have a bowel movement because of it. Is there something he can eat or take that will cause loose stools? He had back surgery 7 years ago and will probably need surgery again. He's 75 yrs old. He had an MRI and is waiting to see the Dr on Wednesday. His pain level is at a 10 or higher almost constantly. Please help. How can he get relief from his back pain? Its shooting down his leg and into his groin as well. Pain pills don't help nothing does.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/11/2010
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
DearCustomer
Hello.I am sorry to hear of your recent loss.The pain in your fathers back is probably due to spinal nerve root compression(Radiculitis) in the lumbosacral area as is suggested by its radiation down the leg.Since it is a neurogenic pain,addition of Gabapentin/Pregabalin and antidepressants like Amitryptilene will probably help when used in addition to the analgesics.Local heat and Physiotherapy will also help.The constipation will respond to a high fibre diet,bulk forming agents like Bran/Psyllium and adequate hydration.Sodium Docusate may be used as a stool softener.Regular walking and exercise will help relieve the constipation.
I'm not sure what Gabapentin/Pregabalin are.

He's not constipated yet, but he's afraid to go because of the back pain. He's looking to find something that will actually make his stools liquid. Can you recommend something that will do that and is that safe??? I don't want him to get dehydrated.

We are getting a walker as he can't even stand upright. He has no relief in the pain whatsoever.
You can use Sodium Docusate which is a stool softener.Lactolose in the dose of 15-30ml daily will also help.Magnesium Sulphate in a dose of 15-30gms is also safe and effective.Gabapentin is a very effective adjunct in neurogenic pain.