Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 21 yr old son, who has right side nose pain

Customer Question
Hi I have a 21...
Hi I have a 21 yr old son, who has right side nose pain swelling for the past 4yrs. I have taken him to 2 ENT's and his family doctor. They pay no attention to his complaint, the last ENT told if you are not dying then you are fine. This problem has gotten worse that it affects his everyday life, he has trouble focusing on work he couldn't even enjoy the vacation at the beach. He says he feels a lot of pressure and feel he has to hold his head a certain way to even focus and talk with people. is there someone who specializes in issues like these? I am just at my wits end with this. Please help...
Thanks,
Alisa
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/11/2010
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Thanks for your question.

I am an ENT and Head & Neck surgeon and wants to help you.

Do he have one or more of the following symptoms?

Nasal obstruction

Nasal discharge

Nasal bleeding

Fluid trickling in throat

widening of the distance between the eyes

Facial asymmetry

How big is the swelling, is it hard or soft, what is color of overlying skin, is it fixed or movable.

Any other swelling in the neck or face?

Reply in detail, if you have the picture of the swelling you can upload, it will help.

Regards

No nasal obstruction that I know of, in fact no to all of your questions. the skin is movable.

He describes the skin as stretched and sagging. The discoloration is minimal skin is tougher with larger pores. A couple of years ago it was intermintant now it seems to be this way all the time. Unforturnelty I don't have picture to send at this time. It's really hard to see the skin changes and swelling in a photo. I understand this seems non emergent to most physicians but I am sure my son can't be the only one who has these types of symptoms. His newest symptoms are the retricted air on right side and snoring but these are symptoms that can be explained from a previous nose injury about 8months ago. But still does not explain his previous symptoms that have been going on for about 4yrs.

Thanks for your input.

From history it doesnot seems to be a dangerous thing and seems like more of a benign thing having a cosmetic impact.

No swelling in Head & neck region can be ignored without investigating.

It can be a very simple thing lipoma or a cyst and can be easily be treated surgically.

If your ENT is not willing to investigate it, i suggest you should take a second opinion and should get him investigated by CT SCAN and FNAC of the swelling. This FNAC can tell that what is nature of the cells in the swelling and the CT SCAN can tell its origin and extent.

Once confirmed it can be excised without leaving any significant deformity, however it all depends on what it comes to be on investigations.

So my final suggestion is to go for a second opinion.

Hope for the best

Good luck to your son

Regards

Keep in touch

DR HASAN

What is a FNAC and how is test preformed?

FNAC mean fine needle aspiration cytology.

In this with the help of a small needle cells are drawn from the swelling and then put on a slide and checked under microscope for their nature.

It is not painful, just a needle prick.

Regards

Would you be able to refer my son to a physician in Austin Texas that would specialize in this particular area, that will do the FNAC and will really listen and exam his nose? We do realize this is not a life threating issue but it is a issue for him. I would also like this physician to be able do any necessary surgery he my require? I know part of his issue may require the repair of previous broken nose for breathing and snoring issues.

Thanks for your reply.

FNAC will not be performed by ENT surgeon, he will request a pathologist.

In your area, you need to visit any tertiary care hospital or any hospital attached with a medical university & you will find an ENT surgeon there.

I am sending a link which can also help you in finding ENT doctor is your area/

http://local.yahoo.com/results?stx=ent+doctors&csz=Austin%2C+TX

Regards