Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was at least 25 hours on an airplane travelling.in he last…

Customer Question
I was at least 25...
I was at least 25 hours on an airplane travelling.in he last 10 days. I noticed 3 days ago that my right foot had become swollen red and warm especially at the bunion.. I have a bunion next to the big toe. The pain has gone but the swell has not.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/11/2010
Doctor: Dr. R. Bora, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

So, you have a bunion in the second toe?

Is your entire right foot red, warm and sollen?

Are you diabetic?

Why was the femoral artery cleared at the groin?

I am still available online to answer your queries after I get the above info.
1) the bunion in 5the right foot just below the big toe
2)The redness and swelling are mainly on the big toe and part under the other smaller toes
3) i am not diabetic
4) the femoral artery was cleared because it was partially blocked at the level of the groin. It became totally cleared.
Thanks for the additional information.

Firstly, you should see a podiatrist to take good care of your foot and the bunion.Since the bunion is painful and swollen, you can try using ice on the joint and elevate the foot on a stool. You can use a A Bunion Shield to reduce the pain over the bunion.
You should wear proper fitting shoes which does not press the bunion with special Dr. footwork insoles. Check this link.

Bunion Night Splints have been used to reduce the size of the bunion. This will straighten the bunion while you sleep. This is important to prevent bunions forming in the other toes as well.

You should also do exercises to prevent stiffness and arthritis from dveloping in the great toe due to the pain. Check this link.
If nothing helps, you should consult an orthopedic specialist and consider surgery as the last resort to remove the bunion.