Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have got a really bad pain on my left side and i can not…

Customer Question
i have got a really...
i have got a really bad pain on my left side and i can not touch it as it really hurts and the pain wont go away
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/11/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Is this more toward the front under the left rib cage, the side or the flank--toward the back?
under left rib cage
I'm assuming more in the front then.
Sever pain can indicate panreatitis, or inflammation of the pancreas. This can be of unknown cause, can be from medications very commonly, from diabetes, from alcohol, from gallstones, most commonly. A lab called lipase/amylase can define this. If pancratitis, you should see someone today, even the ER as it can become dangerous.

Pain in the stomach, spleen and bowel [transverse colon at the splenic flexure] are other possibilities.

Pain when you touch it is not a good sign. If you apply pressure gently to make an impression then release suddenly and this causes more pain, then this is a worse sign.

Given the severity, you should not wait. Go to the ER if you have to.
dt
could this be panreatitis its just very painfull and wakes me up
As I said, severe pain in this area could be pancreatitis and this needs to be assessed.
Good Luck
dt
as I said
this could be from meds, a gall stone that has drifted, from diabetes, high triglycerides, medications...almost any medication, alcohol, and for other reasons, even a cyst in the pancreas.
Good Luck
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses very helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.
i have got pain on my left side under my ribs i have had this for a week and the pain as got worse
You will need an examination
You might need an ultrasound of the left upper quadrant or another form of imaging depending on what the doctor thinks.
Pain getting steadily worse in the abdomin could be a very serious problem. Not something to wait on.
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses always helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.
i am wating for ultrasound to come i also keep getting wind
Believe it or not irritable syndrome is also a possibility and there is a variant called splenic flexure syndrome, pain in the location you have. However, this would have to be a diagnosis of exclusion.
Parasitic infection is a remote possibility and they can check three stool samples for ova and parasites; a parasite called giardia is all over the world and classically causes a lot of gas.
dt
what is splenic syndrome
what is splenic syndrome

Splenic flexure syndrome refers to pain where you have it, but due to the bowel, much like irritable bowel syndrome.

dt

i have got relly bad pain on left side under my ribs could this be an ulcer

A stomach ulcer could also cause this type of pain, as I have answered you before. There is not way to say exactly what you have without examination and testing, even if you have to go to the ER.

Good Luck

dt

Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback most appreciated. bonuses always helpful. answers for informational purposes only.