Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

At the age of 55 and following a scan for suspected kidney

Customer Question

At the age of 55 and following a scan for suspected kidney stones I am told I have duplex kidnet on my left side. What I dont understand is why has this not come to light before seeing as I have had numerous scans, x rays, wee and kidney infections etc, parkinsons, thyroid problems gynae problems, My GP has suggested the injection of dye to confirm if there are stones - is any of this a risk please?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 8 years ago.
Hi

Welcome to just answer...

Well ultrasound is not a very sensitive tool to detect a Duplex kidney that is observer based so its commonly missed if the observer lacks expertise to see it...

Well as long as your renal function tests are normal( serum urea and creatinine) the dye test poses no risk to you...

I hope this answers your question...

Thank you...