Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mom is 78 years old and has tinnitus. Most recently it…

Customer Question
My mom is 78 years...
My mom is 78 years old and has tinnitus. Most recently it has taken a turn for the worse. She is spending alot of time with her head in her hands crying. Is there anything we can do to help her get relief. We know there isn't a cure but hopefully we can find her something to help. We have tried several over the counter remedies. She just recently tried some ear drops that seem to be making it worse. Will the eardrops eventually go out of her system?.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/11/2010
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question.
Tinnitus can be caused due to following factors which include -
Old Age (advancing age is accompanied by a certain amount of auditory nerve impairment and tinnitus)
Otosclerosis (stiffening of the middle ear bones)
Allergies
Thyroid problems
Certain foods such as soy, wheat, chocolate and red wine
Anemia
Stress and anxiety
So it is advised to undergo Complete Blood Count , ESR , Absolute Eosinophil count , Thyroid function test for further evaluation .

It is advised to undergo an ear examination by an ENT specialist to rule out eustachian tube blockage which result in tinnitus ( ringing /buzzing in ear) .

Hypertension can also result in tinnitus.

He may advise masking devices (Tinnitus maskers )similar to hearing aids, these devices produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus symptoms.
Doctor may prescribe antidepressant medications if she has associated stress and anxiety.
Try sleeping with head propped up in an elevated position which lessens head congestion and noises may become less noticeable.
Take OTC Decongestant or Antihistamine tablets
Try Valsalva manoeuvre
-Take a breath in. Then, try to breathe out gently with your mouth closed and pinching your nose (the Valsalva manoeuvre). In this way, no air is blown out but you are gently pushing air into the Eustachian tube. If you do this you may feel your ears go 'pop' as air is forced into the middle ear. This sometimes eases the problem.

Avoid alcohol, smoking , caffeine.
Do meditation and deep breathing exercises.
Avoid loud noise as well.
I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.