Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 22 years old. He said that occassionally his right…

Customer Question
My son is 22 years...
My son is 22 years old. He said that occassionally his right hand feels different. The best he can describe it is how your face feels after going to the dentist and getting a novacaine injection. He has full function, no pain, & no swelling. This has happened 3 times this week. It lasts for a while and will then go away. He has had no trauma to the hand, wrist, or arm. Any idea what could be going on?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/10/2010
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Your son is experiencing numbness of the hand. At your son's age this is usually die to thoracic outlet syndrome.

The most common causes of a thoracic outlet syndrome in your son's age group are:

1) A Cervical Rib which has ossified

2) Spasm of the muscles of the neck (particularly the scalene muscles)

The above mentioned conditions can compress the underlying nerves that is the brachial plexus which supply the upper limb and cause numbness, tingling sensations.

The treatment depends upon the underlying cause identified. Such a condition warrants a comprehensive physical examination along with certain tests which include Nerve Conduction Studies and Xrays of the cervical spine and the thoracic outlet.

None the less, I would advise that your son visits his PCP for a thorough examination in order to reach a diagnosis, there after, a treatment plan can be chalked out depending upon what the cause is.

--Hope this answers your question--

Best wishes.