Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm concerned because my urine has intermittently been a…

Customer Question
Hi- I'm concerned because my urine...
Hi-
I'm concerned because my urine has intermittently been a brownish color. I often go for hours without drinking water, and when I do, this clears up the problem immediately. Can I be reassured by this? If there were a problem (a liver issue or melanoma, say) would the color change persist? Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/10/2010
Doctor: Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor

Thank you for your question,

concentrated urine can appear as brownish in color and other causes of this color are

kidney problem like glomerulonephritis and liver problems like liver cirrhosis, cetain

medicine.

As the color of urine recovers after taking water so this is most likely due to

concentrated urine and does not indicate a problem.

At this point you need to avoid this practice of taking low amount of water as over long

term this can pose a problem to the kidneys.

I hope this answers your question.