Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Please can you tell me when i am wearing a waist band on my…

Customer Question
Hi please can you tell...
Hi please can you tell me when i am wearing a waist band on my clothing that cuts accross my belly button i get a smelly discharge from it which stains and also i am able to fell the same discomfort in both my belly button (at the back) and the vaginal area i have been to the doctors about this in the past and it has been a problem for a number of years i am at the end of my tether please help this is an every day discomfort.
thankyou chrissie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/10/2010
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Dear *****sie

You need to get an infection of the umbilical area ruled out which can cause both discomfort as well as discharge.It can either be a fungal infection or a bacterial infection.Taking a swab and getting it examined under microscope and if necessary culturing it might help detect and treat the problem.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
My doctor took a swab of my belly button about 5 years ago would this not have ruled this out then? it came back with nothing, thanks chrissie
Dear *****sie

5 years is too long a period.In this period any bacterial or fungal infection could have occurred.You should get the swab repeated.