Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 22. He just got over bronchitis and was using a…

Customer Question
My son is 22....
My son is 22. He just got over bronchitis and was using a steroidal inhaler. He now has red spots/bumps on his tongue, mouth ulcers, his lip is swollen, his throat is swollen and his nose is congested with a blood tinge. Could this be thrush from the steroids or something else?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/10/2010
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

In the usual dose, inhaled corticosteroids do not cause side effects in general, however, local side effects, such as sore throat, nasal congestion, allergic reactions, oral thrush have been reported with excessive use of inhaled corticosteroids.

The usual symptoms of oral thrush are white or pinkish speck or spots on the floor, roof or back of the mouth, sore throat and sometimes there are no symptoms at all. Sometimes oral thrush may spread to the roof of your mouth, your gums, tonsils or the back of your throat. The thrush lesions or specks are likely to bleed if scraped and hence can give a red appearancea also. Cracking or ulcers can also be caused especially cracking at the corners of the mouth.

For young healthy individuals like your son, oral thrush can be treated with acidophilus liquids or capsules or unsweetened yougurt. However, if symptoms persist, a doctor can be consulted and the patient can be prescribed anti-fungal drugs like nystatin which clear the infection in no time at all. Anti fungal medications can be obtained in the form of liquids, lozenges tablets and capsule forms.

However, it is also likely that your son has had an allergic attack either to the inhaler or to some other trigger factor that might need to be investigated, keeping in mind the mouth ulcers and the swollen lip. However, in this case, anti allergics like benadryl syrup or cetrizine tablets twice daily will be helpful.

For symptomatic relief, a lozenges tablet, saline gargling and nasal decongestants would be best advised.

--Best wishes--