Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My boyfriend grew up in a family where hygiene was not a…

Customer Question
My boyfriend grew up in...
My boyfriend grew up in a family where hygiene was not a priority. I have been dealing with his foul odors for the last 2 1/2 years. He was using something like motor oil in his hair so his gray hair wouldn't show. He has been a heavy smoker for 45 years. His pillow and pillowcase were disgusting, smelly and greasy. I went through hell but got him to go gray. Then I got him to throw out nearly all his clothes. When he moved in his clothes were 30 years old and all the cello from the dry cleaners was still on...AND BROWN FROM ALL THE NICOTINE!!! I bought him a new wardrobe. He was smoking extremely cheap cigarettes. I finally got him to stop. The smell was sickening. He was resistent so I washed his pillow, changed his pillowcase and the next day there was a huge sweatstain on it. He just stopped smoking. This is the worst foul odor yet!!! His hair and skin smell a very heavy oily smell. It is everywhere in this apartment. HELP! What is that smell..it's always in my hair!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/10/2010
Doctor: DOCDEV, Doctor replied 8 years ago
DOCDEV
DOCDEV, Doctor

Hello.

The reason why some people have persistent body odour could be due to many things-most of them involve bacterial infections .

Mostly , body Odor is caused by bacterial activity on sweat which has dried on the skin or scalp - ( people who sweat excessively more likely to be affected )

Hence the need for maintaining scrupulous hygiene.

Nutrient imbalances - for example the micro-element zinc deficiency, essential vitamins and anti oxidants , can contribute to body odor.

Body odor is sometimes associated with specific health problems including liver dysfunction, diabetes, digestive problems (parasites, etc) and yeast infections.

So , a medical check up for this would be necessary.

Some people have issues metabolizing certain nutrients in the diet-

- particularly foods rich in the amino acids carnitine and lysine and more importantly foods rich in lecithin and choline . There can be body odor here, . However , this would manifest in childhood ( since it is of genetic origin ) .

In , the rare event , that this enzyme deficiency is an acquired disorder, then this would need specific tests for diagnosis. Treatment would include avoidance of certain food .

These include:
Chocolate, peanuts, nuts, raisins, cereals. (carnitine/lysine) Eggs, soya products, corn, wheatgerm. (choline/lecithin)

Hope this advice helps. Please click ACCEPT so I may receive credit for my time. Feel free to continue asking questions, I am here to help.

Information is for EDUCATION only. Doesn't replace a visit to your Doc. The purpose of the site is to sensitize you about your illness.