Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am, according to the doctors in the three different states…

Customer Question
Hello. I am, according...
Hello. I am, according to the doctors in the three different states I have lived in over the past nine years, an extremely "fascinating case." For the past nine plus years, since about six months after my son was born, I have been sufferring from fevers. They have ranged from as low as 100.5 to 102.7 and they occur every day. Sometimes they only last for a couple of hours and other times they seem to go on the whole day. I have been to Specialist after Specialist and have had the fevers documented and still nothing has been resolved. As a resut of these fevers, I also happen to lose weight and become extremely fatigued. I don't think it can be anything life threatening. As I keep telling the dr's I have seen, "If it hasn't killed me after nine years, then it likely won't." However, I do have two young children and want to make sure I am around for them. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you very much! Mary
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/10/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Very interesting case
Doubt infection for nine years without developments.
Dysregulation in the hypothalamus, the temperature regulator in the brain would be my guess, not only hard to diagnose, but hard to prove, as their might be no findings, necessarily but probably one of the reasons,,or similar to one of the reasons, they did the eegs. Autoimmune disease is a possibility and a lymphoma that is smoldering that they have not found, perhaps, but very unlikely.
My two suggestions as to specialists if you have not seen them are rheumatology and hematology oncology. AN ESR and ANA panel if you have not had these but you probably have. ESR, if normal or low, rules out most occult malignancies and infections, also a lot of autoimmune disease.
Assuming you still have ovaries. This is a jump, but endometriosis interna --adenomyosis--perhaps was misdiagnosed and you might have endometrial tissue elsewhere; doubt this because usually there would be pain in a cyclic manner.
Tuberculosis is the most common cause of fever of unknown origin, but I'm sure you have been checked for this.
Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease that affects each individual somewhat differently. Sometimes fatigue and fever are prominent symptoms. There are specific parts of the ANA panel that can indicate if you have this; rheumatology will know what to order, or your internist/FP.
These are my thoughts at this point from the info you have given.
dt

Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses always very helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.