Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was called yesterday by Be The Match Marrow Center in

Customer Question
Rhode Island as a possible...
I was called yesterday by Be The Match Marrow Center in Rhode Island as a possible doner for a bone marrow patient. They would only take the bone marrow from the back of the pelvic bone if for some reason they couldn't do the pereferal blood stem cell collection. My veins are fine and I never have a problem when they take blood, but in case something goes wrong and they can't get it from the veins I would have to go under anestheia and have the marrow taken from the hip/back. My question is, if I have osteoperosis in my hip, can I still donate? Last August I had a reclast infusion and now take Vitamin D and Calcium. I read that Reclast actually can help build the bone. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/10/2010
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago

Can you tell me how severe is your osteoporosis?

I know it's not severe. I have no limitations and am not in any pain. I have a call into my doctor to see exactly where I have it. I know I have it in my hip. Don't know if the Reclast has helped. Will be going for a bone denisity scan in Sept. Please answer back as soon as you can since the bone marrow center will make a decision today. thank you!
Well, your question is a little difficult to answer precisely, without knowing the involvement of the pelvic bone with your osteoporosis. If that one area is fine or only minimally involved, there should be no problem with the aspiration. If it were more severely involved, the aspiration procedure could conceivably cause a local fracture, but even that would be something that would be unlikely to cause long-term damage. It would be important for the doctor performing the procedure to have all the available information about the status of your pelvis in relation to the osteoporosis for him to make an informed decision about proceding. I think there's a good chance you can get the procedure done, but it will have to rest on yours and the doctor's both agreeing to it.
I've noticed you didn't accept my answer--is there any more information I can afford you?
I actually just spoke w/my orthopedic spinal surgeon who did kyphoplasty on a vertebrae I fractured from a rollercoaster ride 3/09. The fracture wasn't from the osteoperosis, I had my hands up and wasn't holding. The first time i held on for dear life, second time I didn't and it was a very tight twist. He said there should be no problem w/the osteoperosis if for some reason i have to go that route as opposed to the perefersal blood stem cell donation. So i guess he answered my question. Thank you though. I appreciate your comments.
You're welcome.