Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

After raising my grandchild to keep him away from all the…

Customer Question
Hi, After raising my grandchild to...
After raising my grandchild to keep him away from all the drug and alcohol abuse his mother has been involved in and still is,I recently found out that he,who is now trans gender from he to she,had started experimenting with drugs a couple of years ago already.The addiction,and "her"lifestyle have become so unhealthy,that this situation has become horrible to live with.The mood swings,crying spells,paranoia.I'm wondering if the drugs,poor diet,not to mention sitting in a dark room almost every day(doesn't go out much)could have caused some chemical imbalance?
My question is that she got on the phone,and spoke with someone about obtaining a product called"Ibogaine".What if anything,can you tell me about this drug?She has been told that it corrects the problem in the brain caused by the drugs she has been abusing.She doesn't know where it is comming from,but they called her today,and want a total of a few hundred dollars.
Lillian,Saskatchewan,Canada.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/9/2010
Doctor: Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Hello, here is a link that might help you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibogaine

Le t me know if you have more questions or concerns
I had already read that information.What I needed to know is are there any problems to taking Ibogaine when you aren't being monitored by someone in the medical field?
It must be administered by someone in the medical field, because it has serious side effects like tremorigenic, hallucinogenic, neurotoxic, and cardiovascular side effects. Any treatment provided by an experienced and knowledgeable ibogaine therapist should include a medical and psychiatric review for the patient's safety, and there are several pre-requisites that the patient must have before starting treatment

Let me know if you have more questions or concerns