Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My dad is 93 yrs old and has had terrible lower back pain…

Customer Question
My dad is 93 yrs...
My dad is 93 yrs old and has had terrible lower back pain Yesterday an exray was done and I dont understand one of the impressions of the radiologists It states that there is prominent atherosclerotic calcificatiing within the abdominal aorts It appeasrs to be tortuous and ectatic and I do not know what that means
Thank you so much for your answer
Judi
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/9/2010
Doctor: Dr. Charogat, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

In plain English what that means is that there is a part of the abdominal aorta that is narrowed. The abdominal aorta also is not straight anymore, but is 'wavy'. Both of these findings are common in the elderly.

The only way this would be causing pain is if there is a separation in that area of the aorta. If there was any indication of separation the radiologist would have most likely referred your father for further imaging studies, such as CT scan.

At your father's age (without seeing your father or knowing his history etc.) I would think that if this pain suddenly appeared it might be a fracture of a vertebra, where it collapses on to itself. I would think this would be seen in the x-ray as well.

G-d Bless

If you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask them.

________________________
If you are satisfied with my answer please click 'accept' so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.