Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 24 yr old son suffered a blow to the head 10 days ago…

Customer Question
My 24 yr old son...
My 24 yr old son suffered a blow to the head 10 days ago while playing ball. He was eventually seen at the ER and had a CT scan done but it was determined that he has a concussion. He has returned to work this week but is experiencing light sensitivity and continued inability to focus. He seems to think that one pupil is slightly larger than the other. Does he need to be seen again by another Dr? If so, what kind of Dr. or should he return to the ER?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/9/2010
Doctor: dr.sehr, Doctor replied 8 years ago
dr.sehr
dr.sehr, Doctor

hi,

Dear customer in my view in the presence of current problems your son having you should bring him to ER and get examined by doctor and let him confirm all the findings he is having.Later on he may need to be seen by a neurologist.

He may need to repeat CT scan of brain.Thanks

God Bless You

Regards

Relist: Answer quality.
I requested an answer from a neurologist and got an answer from an OB/GYN - I don't want to pay for another answer now as the crisis has passed
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
Sorry the other expert did not give a more extensive answer.
You can re-submit the question to neurology, However, I am a board certified internist and have had experience with this situation, neurologists being one of our referral groups.
Post concussion syndrome, although somewhat controversial, can cause a variety of symptoms, such as:
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Irritability
  • Anxiety
  • Insomnia
  • Loss of concentration and memory
  • Noise and light sensitivity
You'll notice that your son's symptoms are here. The syndrome usually occurs within 7 to 10 days, not always though, and usually can last up to 3 months. The type of doctor you would want to see is a numerologist, as you have surmised.

However, you need to look at your son's pupil sizes and compare. It is often possible to thing that there is a slight difference in pupil size when looking in th mirror. it is possible to actually hold a small ruler up and get an idea, A true.y noticeable difference in size could warn of a serious problem, which is why the other expert recommended the ER. A common cause of true difference would be bleeding into the skull, and expanding aneurysm and other conditions that can be treated if caught early. Often, however, there would be other symptoms such as headache, nausea, etc. So look at this carefully, if there is any doubt, go back to the ER. I doubt they missed a bleed on the original CT, although in rare instances this might be possible. If he has been seeing this slight difference for 10 days, it is unlikely that there is a bleed without progressing symptoms. However, err on the side of safety.

Hope this helps.
Summary: probably post concussion syndrome and see a neurologist in person.
If expanding pupil, go to ER.
Good Luck
dt
_______________________________________________
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses the most helpful. answers for informational purposes only.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician