Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was given low dose of prednisone to clear up inflamation…

Customer Question
i was given low dose...
i was given low dose of prednisone to clear up inflamation in my lower back. 10 days latter I was given a high dose of prednisone for my asthma and bronchitis. With the lower dose I was getting Charley Horses in my calfs. Before I finished my second dose I had acute muscle spamas everywhere. Not one part of by body was not exempt. I had my calcium and potassium checked which came back normal. Do you think it has anything to do with the prednisone?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/9/2010
Doctor: Dr. Salar, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Salar
Dr. Salar, Doctor
prednisone can cause muscle cramps if used for long.other causes can be

problem with blood or nerve supply esp with exertion, electrolytes imbalance, kidney problems, restless leg, iron or other mineral deficiency.It is also advisable to take calcium and vitamin D .drink plenty of fluids and start taking a multivitamin with b12 in it. also can apply icy hot/cold and message the area. if it doesn’t improve see your doctor for testing.

Dr. Salar
Dr. Salar, Doctor
i already saw my doctor and he ran $1,500 worth of lab test. Everything was ok except my white count was at 14,000 a little high. I am taking the musle relaxer but it isn't helping much.
white count can be elavated due to use of steroids. get CPK and alkaline phosphatase level done.
i know i had the phosphatase level done and it was normal. What is the CPK
CPK is muscle enzyme elevated in breakdown.