Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have chronic pain in my feet along with numbness in my…

Customer Question
I have chronic pain in...
I have chronic pain in my feet along with numbness in my toes and on the top of my feet. The pain is worse when I am off my feet, it seems like pressure on the bottom of my feet releaves the pain to a certain point. Some times when I am off of my feet the bottom of my feet feels like they are on fire. The pain keeps me from sleeping most nights without some type of medication. I went to a podiastrist and he told me I had broken arches in both feet, gave me inserts for my shoes which does not help, they actually make the pain worse. My general doctor says I have a type of Fibromosia in my feet, she put me on Lyrica, 300 mlg at night before I go to bed, which helps about 60% enough to help me fall to sleep, but many nights I end up taking Tylenol 3 after taking the Lyrica because my feet still hurt so bad I cannot sleep. There are still times when even that does not help and I lay awak until 2 or 3 in the morning when finally I some how fall to sleep. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/9/2010
Doctor: Dr. Cameron, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
any other medical problems or medications?

I am on Monopil for hypertension and Crestor for high colestrial. I just had my annual physical and both are excelent and stays under control.

Well, to be honest with you, it sounds like you might have a neuropathy.. this is when the nerves are inflammed and/or damaged from a variety of reasons, including diabetes, alcohol, vasculitis, lupus, hormonal disorders (like low thyroid) and vitamin deficiencies. As well, fibromyalgia can cause these symptoms. People complain of burning, itching or even shooting pain. Now you are already on lyrica which seems to help, but you should be worked up for the other causes as listed above to make sure that you do not have another treatable/curable condition.

You need to see your regular doctor for evaluation. If he/she doesn't know what is going on, then I would ask for a referral to a neurologist. Depending on the cause, treatment may require a combination of anti-seizure medications, anti-depressants, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, steroids, nerve blocks and/or opiates.
Don't despair, this could be a very treatable condition, but it important to find out exactly what is causing this

warm regards

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Thank you, ***** ***** direct me in the right direction.
you are welcome!