Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

What causes bright stools and all day vomiting.

What causes bright green stools and all day vomiting.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 years ago.
Is this question related to yourself or your daughter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My daughter
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 years ago.
Since how long has this been happening? How many stools and vomitings does she have or has had till now? Has she had any tests done for this? Does she have any other symptoms? Does she have any other medical conditions other than this? Please let me know. Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has been sick for a week. Vomiting 15 to 20 times a day. Went to the hospital and they said she could come home, gave her the medication to stop vomiting and the pain medication for her stomach. They are going to do a colonoscopy in a week. Would like to get your thoughts on the symptions. She has no other conditions. Blood work came back good.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 years ago.
With that many episodes of vomiting and diarrhea I do not know how they could let her go home. I would have admitted her to the hospital. The color of the vomiting and the diarrhea (the greenish color) is not something a great deal to worry about in itself because this color represents the greenish color of the bile that is released into the intestine through the bile ducts. When one has an increased motility of the intestines one can have greenish colored stool. The first and foremost thing that I would consider as a possible diagnosis is gastroenteritis (which is an infection of the intestines) that can happen due to many bugs. The most common cause of an infection of the gut is a viral infection. However I would also like to exclude bacterial infections in her case as well because of her severe symptoms. Another possibility is food poisoning, however symptoms of food poisoning will not usually last this long. With the symptoms that she is having (multiple episodes of vomiting and diarrhea) I would recommend that she be evaluated by a gastro doctor as soon as possible and if her condition becomes severe and she shows signs of dehydration such as dizziness, lightheadedness I would then recommend that you take her to the ER for intravenous fluid therapy. Regards