Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mom is 65. She had back surgery in 2002 and for the last…

Customer Question
My mom is 65....
My mom is 65. She had back surgery in 2002 and for the last 2 years she has been having extreme pain that runs down the front of her legs centering on the knee and charlie horses. Her doctor has tried injections and different pain medications and he says there is old scar tissue in her back that causes the pain in her legs. She does not have back pain. Is there anything other than surgery to remove the scar tissue to alleviate the pain?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/9/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Physical therapy at this point is your best bet, depending on what type of shape she is in. The correct physical therapy however. She needs to see a physiatrist [doctor trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation or PM&R] who will have a specific diagnosis and procedure based on her structure and will prescribe a physical therapy designed to correct the structural problem. You won't get this from other specialists except there is perhaps some cross over with sports medicine [orthopedics].
Good Luckd
t
Please click accept to give answer credit. Bonuses very helpful. Positive feedback most appreciated. Answers for informational purposes only.
Physical Therapy seemed to increase the pain at night. What I don't understand is what is a physiatrist is? Are you talking about a head doctor? It seems none of the medicine is helping and the last time she received an injection she said, she screamed so loud because she could feel the needle from her buttocks to her knees and has rejected taking any more shots even though the pain has here literally screaming and crying. It would not bother me so much but my mom has never been a complainer. You would have to know her to know something is wrong. it's getting so she is not getting rest at night and is awoke in the night with the pain she describes as a charlie horse that jumps from one leg to the other. I'm at a lost at how a head doctor can help with such a physical pain
A physiatrist is a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation, or PM&R, not a head doctor. The physiatrist is specifically trained to see how the scar tissue affects the rest of her functioning and how it might best be handled through physical therapy. This way, there is a structural treatment plan aimed at getting rid of the pain, not just physical therapists trying whatever.

In terms of alternatives, I would suggest a very good medical acupuncturists or a specialist in TCM and acupuncture [traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture].

Good Luck
dt