Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 77 yrs old, had a heart attack 2 yrs ago, and the heart…

Customer Question
I am 77 yrs old...
I am 77 yrs old, had a heart attack 2 yrs ago, and the heart doctor says my heart is fine. However, I feel realy crappy ever since the attack, very weak,can't walk very far, and get cramps all the time. My main complaint is the weakness. went to family doctor the other day and told him I was getting blackm in front of me and couldn't focus my eyes, thought I was having a stroke. The doctor replied I needed potassium, which he said last month not to take ' cause my potassium number was 8, and that my blood pressure was too low. So, he ordered potassium for me and told me to take 1/2 of a 10 mg norvase pill. I did that. The next day I couldn't get out of bed, so weak. He also told me to take iron supplements, which I did. I took the iron and a B 12 pill, and immediatly felt better. I am to have a blood test this Thursday. Do you think my problem is that I am an anemic. I can't go on this way, feel terrible. Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/8/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

There are many different conditions that can cause weakness. Yes, anemia is one of the possible causes, but should be easily detected with blood work. Abnormal potassium levels also can cause weakness. It is also true that one of the possible complications after a heart attack is poor pumping action of the heart, which can cause weakness, but if your doctor says that your heart checks out fine, this must have already been checked.