Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have fractured my left ankle on May 7, 2010. I was seen…

Customer Question
I have fractured my left...
I have fractured my left ankle on May 7, 2010. I was seen thru the E.R. but doctors couldn't see a brake with regular x-rays. My main doctor had me conduct a MRI and was able to see a brake inside my ankle area. The bone running down into my joint area is fractured. The also stated that at the end of my bone it looks like a broken windshield. The bone looks like a spidered windshield. I'm 250 pounds and 6'2". I have not recieved any treatment up until this point. My foot feels like it is on fire as well numbness feeling all day long. They stated I have a hematonma (A blood clot). Sorry about spelling. Unsure how that word is spelled. I meet with a surgeon on Monday. I was wondering if I am going to need to get surgery.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/8/2010
Doctor: Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer:

The initial treatment based on your mild fracture would include protecting the ankle and joint fracture from additional stress or injury by recommending clutches, resting the leg more, ice/hot compresses, keeping the leg elevated when possible, using of analgesics and anti-inflammatory medication such as Aleve 2 pills twice daily with food. In addition, ankle-brachial index and/or Doppler ultrasound of the leg may be performed to ensure good blood flow and supply to the ankle and joint. It is unlikely that surgery would be recommended at this time. However, if after 6-8 weeks there is no significant improvement with physical therapy, then minor surgical repair with possible pin fixation would be considered.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
It has been almost 6 weeks now. My doctors didn't know I had a fracture until I conducted a MRI a week ago. They stated that I needed to see a surgeon asap. I am able to meet with one on Monday. I have not been put in a cast because they want the surgeon to examion me. I have a bad burning feeling as well as numbness still all day long. My pain rate I would say is still a 8. Would the last six weeks be something that will make surgery a must since they didnt know I had a fracture? My foot feels like it is a sleep and the only way I can use it is by flopping it forward.
Thank you so much:

The numbness and worsening pain such that there is an affected nerve, and it is most likely that you will need open surgical repair, to ensure good blood flow and nerve function. Delaying for 6 weeks without adequate care before making the diagnosis was inappropriate, would prolong healing, but you would likely re-gain good function.

Unclear on answer. Surgery needed to fix numbness and burning feeling or surgery for bone repair. The bone has not rejoined at all since MRI was just done on Friday which would make that week 6.
Thank you so much: Sorry there are multiple experts working on the same question.

I wish to opt out so that another expert will assist you better. May God bless.
Relist: Not clear and wouldn't state the answer to my question..
Not clear and wouldn't state the answer to my question.
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Hello

Greetings

When you said ER doctor did not see the fracture on regular X-ray, but it showed in MRI, it means it is a communited fracture, if it looked like a shattered glass it means it is at least together.

From your description, I can imagine that it was a fracture due to jumping and landing in an awkward position on that foot. So it is possible that it is a dome fracture of the Talus and possibly calcanius bones, and the haematoma (blood clot) is due to rupture of blood vessels under the foot due to the force of injury. The nerves that carry pain and sensation are likely going to be affected too(thats why you feel pain and numbness)

Therefore, 6 weeks is usually NOT enough for healing of this type of fracture, especially without adequate immobilization (casting).

So after the Surgeon examine you on Monday, the decision to do surgery will not depend on the 6 weeks and/or bone healing, the determination of the surrounding tissue, blood clot, and nerve damage will have to be assessed, and decision made based on that.

For now, you need strong anti-inflammatory medications, (like advil or aleve),

You need to AVOID bearing weight on the ankle, by using crutches,

use ice packs on the swollen area for 10 minutes at a time 3 times a day, and

when sitting or lying down elevate the foot with soft pillow or cushion.

WELL THANKS A LOT. THAT MEANS A LOT TO ME.

You are welcome.

It was my pleasure keeping you informed through justanswer.com