Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

66. About 2 years ago I was told I had bilateral vascular…

Customer Question
I am F, 66....
I am F, 66. About 2 years ago I was told I had bilateral vascular disease in my feet due to numbness. I have been on Lyrica. Since then I've noted increased swellilng of my feet, both knees, and occ. back pain in the L4-5 areas, along with occ. bil knee pain (even at rest). I seem to be loosing more urinary control, have stilted painful walking at the end of a day, seem depressed. am presemtly also taking Tylenol #3, 3-4 times/day, along with Alprazolam 2-3/day for relief. This sometimes helps me to sleep, and sometimes lets me walk a little faster and in a more normal upright position. My balance (on one foot) is difficult. My wt. is about 200 lbs. I was told I was tested for syphilis but wonder if it was accurate as I had a past (10 yrs ago ) relationship with a man of many sexual partners. I also have a genital macular rash that itches frequently now, but may be related to my urinary prob. My OB/GYN has never noticed ra
Should I be re-tested for tertrary syphilis again
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/8/2010
Doctor: Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology

As long as your test for syphilis included FT-Abs test (as opposed to screening test called RPR) you do not need to be re-tested. I hope you had STD screening if you were concerned with your former partner's sexual past.

You may have had some of these tests already but it would be important for your doctor to test your thyroid gland function, do an EKG and 2 D echocardiogram, kidney and liver testing -- to evaluate your fatigue and leg swelling, vitamin B12 level as well as nerve and muscle test called EMG to evaluate your neuropathic (numbness) symptoms along with a referral to a neurologist.
It would probably also be prudent to incude autoimmune screening -- Rheumatoid factor and Antinuclear antibodies.

Lyrica indeed can cause so-called peripheral edema - swelling in the extremities, so this is something for your doctor to consider as well.

If you have another question, please do not hesistate to ask.
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Thank you.
You are welcome.
Should you have more questions in the future, please let me know.
My best wishes.

Thank you for the good advice. I will ask for these tests via my Internist. He's very kind, but also very very busy.

I just don't think I should feel this lousy at my age and want to do more.

I agree.
I'll be happy to provide you with help when you don't have access to your primary doctor.
Please update me on the results when you get a chance.